I would like to direct you to the remarkable performance(s) of Rosa’s Fase: dancing on minimal music. Rosa’s Fase is a Belgium dance group, lead by Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker. Their dances are symmetric, confusing, hypnotic and perfectionistic. Most of the dance performances are available on video (DVD). Fortunately I purchased the DVD somewhere in 2004 and still love it. Although the music is not (always) electronic, it certainly is beautiful and hypnotic – where the dances completes the experience.
Fase, Four Movements to the Music of Steve Reich, choreographer Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker’s very first performance, premiered in 1982. Fase consists of three duets and one solo, choreographed to four repetitive compositions by the American minimalist Steve Reich. De Keersmaeker uses the structure of Reich’s music to develop an independent movement language that does not merely illustrate the music but adds a new dimension, as it were. Both the music and the dance are based on the principle of phase shift: by means of minute variations initially perfectly synchronized movements gradually begin to slide and shift, creating a complex game of constantly changing shapes and patterns. For the first time in the long performance history, Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker passes this performance, which she has always danced herself, on to two new dancers.
Actually, Rosa’s Fase will perform live during the next months, such as in Italy and Austria (July) and Holland (October). More information: Rosa’s website or see the list below the images.
(c) all pictures by Rosa’s Fase.
Live performances planned:
- 07-09.07.2022 MYSTERY SONATAS / FOR ROSA Teatro Romano, Festival dei Due Mondi – Spoleto, Italy
- 12-15.07.2022 MYSTERY SONATAS / FOR ROSA Volkstheater, ImPulsTanz – Vienna, Austria
- 06-07.09.2022 THE GOLDBERG VARIATIONS, BWV 988 Sadler’s Wells Theatre, Sadler’s Wells – London, United Kingdom
- 13-14.09.2022 DRUMMING LIVE Auditorium Parco Della Musica “Ennio Morricone” , Roma Europa Festival – Rome, Italy
- 15.09-01.10.2022 EN ATENDANT Rosas Performance Space, De Munt/La Monnaie, Kaaitheater – Brussels, Belgium
- 30.09.2022 FASE, FOUR MOVEMENTS TO THE MUSIC OF STEVE REICH Stadsschouwburg, CC Sint Niklaas – Sint Niklaas, Belgium
- 09-18.10.2022 MOZART / CONCERT ARIAS. DANCED BY OPERA BALLET VLAANDEREN Opera Antwerpen, Opera Ballet Vlaanderen – Antwerp, Belgium
- 12-13.10.2022 MYSTERY SONATAS / FOR ROSA Le Foirail, Espaces Pluriels – Pau, France
- 20.10.2022 THE GOLDBERG VARIATIONS, BWV 988 TR Schouwburg, Theater Rotterdam – Rotterdam, Netherlands
- 21.10.2022 EN ATENDANT C Mine – Genk, Belgium
- 22.10.2022 MYSTERY SONATAS / FOR ROSA TR Schouwburg, Theater Rotterdam – Rotterdam, Netherlands
- 26.10.2022 THE GOLDBERG VARIATIONS, BWV 988 Schouwburg, CC Maasmechelen – Maasmechelen, Belgium
- 05-06.11.2022 MOZART / CONCERT ARIAS. DANCED BY OPERA BALLET VLAANDEREN Concertgebouw Brugge – Brugge, Belgium
- 05-06.11.2022 MYSTERY SONATAS / FOR ROSA ITA, Internationaal Theater Amsterdam – Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 08-09.11.2022 MYSTERY SONATAS / FOR ROSA Maison de la danse de Lyon – Lyon, France
- 29.11.2022 THE GOLDBERG VARIATIONS, BWV 988 Théâtre des Arts, Opera de Rouen – Rouen, France
- 02-03.12.2022 MOZART / CONCERT ARIAS. DANCED BY OPERA BALLET VLAANDEREN Festspielhaus St. Pölten, Festspielhaus – St. Pölten, Austria